Friday, December 14, 2012

Moroccan Inspired Lentil Soup

 
The inspiration for this soup came with the desire for a hearty soup that would warm us on a chilly night.  Another need for this soup came from our desire to eat a meatless meal at least once a week.  We get extra points since we had two meatless meals this week, had the roasted vegetable sandwiches earlier.  My husband has always let me know he enjoys lentils, however it was not a food that was served in my house growing up.  So I hesitated a little but I have come to enjoy them.  Plus they are so healthy.  I looked through a few recipes to gather some ideas. I started chopping my vegetables for the soup when I started to think about what spices to include.  After staring at my spice rack for awhile, I decided a blend of cinnamon and cumin would work well.  During our honeymoon we had eaten at a Moroccan restaurant and fell in love with the flavors and use of spices.  This combination made my kitchen smell wonderful! I look forward to enjoying my leftovers for lunch today.
 
 
 
 
Lentil Soup:

1 1/2 cups lentils
2 cups baby portaballo mushrooms sliced
1 chopped sweet potato
3 carrots, chopped
1/2 onion chopped
1-2 stalk of celery chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon thyme
2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil

In a dutch oven or heavy bottom pot heat olive oil.  Cook carrot, celery, onion, and garlic about 5-6 minutes until soft.  Add mushrooms and cook until soft about 4 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add cumin, thyme, and cinnamon.  Add chopped sweet potato.  Cook for a few minutes.  Add broth and four cups of water.  Toss in the lentils.  Simmer for about 25 minutes or until lentils are cooked and sweet potato soft.

Top with croutons or a dollop of greek yogurt.





 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment