Saturday, December 29, 2012

DIY Magnets



This Christmas one of my gifts was a big magnetic chalkboard from Pottery Barn.  I love it!  I cannot wait to hang it in my kitchen and use it as a message center.  And as a person who plans weekly menus this will also be a great spot to post what is for dinner each night.  This has led me a quest to find unique magnets to use with my new chalkboard.  After browsing online I realized I had all the materials  mostly on hand to make my own. From other projects I had a bunch of clothespins laying around, being a scrapbooker I also had stamps, perfect for a set of weekly magnets.  For some smaller round magnets I decided to use some foreign currency I had laying around from previous travels.  All I needed was some magnets. After a quick trip to Michael's I was set.  And this being a cold rainy/snowy afternoon I found it the perfect opportunity to get crafty.  Now I just need to get the chalkboard hung!

Materials Used:

Clothespins (bought at the dollar store)
Self adhesive magnet strips
Round glue able magnets
Old foreign Coins
Stamps
ink pad




Using smaller alphabets stamps I placed the days of the week on the clean clothespins.  Then added magnetic strips onto the backs.


These will now be a great place to hang my weekly menu or reminders about appointments.



For the coin magnets I made sure to first clean the coins to help the glue stick better.  After they were thoroughly dried I used some quick drying tacky glue to connect the magnet and the coins together.  Allow the glue to dry and set completely before trying to use.


A great use for a few coins from trips rolling around.  A unique souvenir that will now be seen on a daily basis


I decided to stamp a few more clothespins with a few other ideas: To Get, To Do, Reminder.




A quick, easy, inexpensive afternoon project!





1 comment:

  1. She's crafty, she's just my type. You are very creative!! Thanks for sharing your ideas with us.

    ReplyDelete