Saturday, September 29, 2012

Minestrone Soup with Croutons

Today in New York was a rainy, windy day.  As I sat at work looking out the window contemplating what I would cook for dinner I figured it would be the perfect evening for a nice pot of soup.  Next I starting taking inventory of what was in my fridge.  Realizing I had a head of cauliflower, a zucchini, and carrots I knew right away some kind of vegetable soup was definitely in order.  Then I remembered there was a package of tortellini pasta.  That sealed the deal that it would be a pot of minestrone soup.  Sadly I realized that the loaf of ciabatta bread that was leftover was a little stale.  This prompted me to cut it up and toast it and turn it into very flavorful croutons to top my soup.  Topped with a little Parmesan cheese and it was the perfect meal on this dreary day.







                                                                                                                  




Croutons:

Day old ciabatta bread chopped into chunks.  Place bread into a bowl drizzle olive oil over the bread.  Sprinkle with garlic powder and Italian seasoning.  Toss bread to coat.  Spread on a baking sheet and toast in oven at 375 degree for about ten minutes until lightly toasted, turning bread over about halfway through.


Minestrone:

1 zucchini cut into half moons
1 bell pepper cut into chunks
2 carrots sliced
1/2 onion chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic
1/2 head of cauliflower
1 can of fire roasted tomatoes
3 cup chicken broth
1/2 lb. tortellini
1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon of red pepper flake
1 bay leaf

In a heavy bottom pot or a dutch oven heat olive oil, cook onions until lightly golden.  Add garlic cooking for another 1 or 2 or until fragrant.  Add the red pepper flake and Italian seasoning.  At the diced tomatoes.  Stir.  Add the rest of the vegetables.  Add the broth. Put one bay leave in pot. Bring to a boil and stir.  Let boil about 5 minutes. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender.  

I cooked the pasta separately and combined when ready to eat.  However the pasta could be added when the vegetables first start to show tenderness.  

Serve soup with croutons and grated Parmesan cheese.













No comments:

Post a Comment