Thursday, January 24, 2013

Butternut Squash Stew



 
I believe I have mentioned it before, but during our honeymoon my husband and I decided to eat dinner one evening in a Moroccan restaurant.  I think we would both agree it was one of our favorite meals.  Not only was the food surprisingly delicious, the belly dancer was very entertaining also.  I think we were drawn in with the intoxicating aromas that accompany the food.  Even as I made this I was in love with the way my kitchen and then house smelt as this simmered on the stove.  Something at the combination of spices blending sweet, spicy, and savory.  It just satisfies all the senses. This was also a great meal to use on our meatless Monday on a bitter cold winter evening.  I think the only thing missing from the meal was the exotic music and belly dancer!


Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion diced
1 medium sweet potato, chopped into cubes
1/2 medium butternut squash peeled and chopped into cubes
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons coriander
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon of salt to taste
3/4 cup of broth (chicken or vegetable) separated
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 cup dried apricots, chopped
1 cup of pitted dates, chopped
1/2 cup dried figs, chopped
1 can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
1/4 cup of fresh cilantro chopped

(this can be served over rice, couscous, or quinoa)

Heat oil in a dutch oven.  Saute onion and sweet potatoes for about 3-4 minutes.  Add in the butternut squash and stir.  Add 1/4 cup of broth, all of the spices and salt, stir, cover and cook 5 minutes.  Remove cover and add the remaining broth, apricots, dates, beans, and lemon juice.  Continue to cook about another 10 minutes until the potato and squash are soft.  Top with fresh cilantro. 

No comments:

Post a Comment