Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Mini Hand Apple Pies




There is nothing better then warm apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  This upcoming week I have two evenings of company coming for dinner.  I wanted to have a delicious desert to serve my guests.  The dilemma then started of what to make.  A cake, a pie?  Both usually great ideas but then do I have to make two?  If not then I would be serving the second evenings guests a half eaten cake, that would not be good.  So knowing my that my guests enjoy fruit based deserts I knew I wanted to make pie but again I did not want to be rude and serve a half eaten pie, and to make two would just mean that there would be way too much temptation and extra pie leftover in my house.  My thighs do not need that!  So it was decided little mini individual pies would be the way to go.  I played around with the shapes to find what worked best and decided on this round one using a cut piece of dough on top and one on the bottom.  My next dilemma being I do not own cookie cutters.  Looking around my kitchen I settled on using a wide mouth mason jar lid to cut my pie crusts. They are the perfect serving size!



Ingredients: (dozen mini pies)
3 large apples peeled and diced (I used two granny smith and one gala)
1 heaping teaspoon of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of sugar- 1 tablespoon to top pies with also
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
juice of half a lemon
1 1/2 boxes refrigerator pie dough (I used Pillsbury)
1 egg
1 tablespoon water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl mix the apples with the brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon of sugar.  Roll out the pie dough on a floured surface and cut circles.  Place circles on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Fill center of circles with apple mixture. place second circle of dough on top.  Fold and crimp edges closed with a fork.  Make an egg wash with beaten egg and water.  Brush on top of pies and sprinkle with a little sugar.  Score two little slits in top of pies.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.  Cool on a wire rack.  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.


Now where is that Vanilla Ice-Cream and a spoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment