Friday, February 1, 2013

Jambalaya

I think lately I have been enjoying foods that have that underlying heat, spice that bites back.  In my cooking I know at times I can have a tendenacy to give an extra shake or two of the red pepper flakes.  Last night we enjoyed ASian turkey meatballs with some spicy mayo which I made iwth a hefty squirt of Sriracha sauce.  Tonight it was a couple of extra shakes of the Tabasco in the Jambalya.  For most of the bowl it just tastes good with a little heat.  By the end I realized my nose was now cleared and my mouth was a little on fire.  As with any recipe adjust the heat to your own liking.  As I typed the recipe I realized when I added to the spices to the pot I threw in a little red pepper flake in for good measure even though the recipe does not call for it....oops extra spicy tonight at our house!




1 Tbp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
6 ounces andouille sausage, sliced (i used an entire Smithfield spicy andouille so lots of sausage in mine)
1 cup uncooked rice
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 bay leaf
2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I think I went one too many shakes of the Tabasco...it was SPICY...oh so good)
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 pound (roughly 10) peeled and deviened medium shrimp


Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or heavy bottom pot over medium-high heat.  Add the onion, pepper, garlic, and sausage.  Cook about 5 minutes or until vegetable are tender.

Next add the rice and all spices.  Cook for 2 minutes to heat spices.

Add the broth, water, tomato paste, hot sauce, and diced tomatoes and bring to a boil.  Cover and reduce heat, simmer about 20 minutes.

Last add the shrimp and cook 5 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through.

Tastes great served with some garlic bread and a red Irish Ale!
















No comments:

Post a Comment