Sunday, February 24, 2013

NYC Bites Third Edition


Belgian Hot Chocolate and Chocolate Croissant




Le Pain Quotidien- Many locations throughout NYC.
~One of the places my husband and I love to grab a bite at is le pain quotidien.  This place is awesome for lunch for a snack, or even just hot chocolate on a cold day.  Which by the way is served as a HUGE cup of steamed milk with a little pitcher of hot melted chocolate on the side that you then pour into the steamed milk. Oh my it is like heaven in a cup.  If I could have licked that little pitcher I think I would have.  And I have to confess even though I have eaten there a few times I always order the same thing the Tuscan plate.  I just love it and crave it.  It comes with shaved parmesean cheese, thinly sliced proscuitto, a bowl of olive tapenade with pesto, and the creamiest and yummiest ricotta cheese.  All with plenty of varied breads slices to dip into all.  My mouth is watering now just thinking about it all.
Mediterranean Plate
Tuscan Plate

OK now moving to down in the village where there is just an abundance of little places to try.  I keep taking food tours with my friend to try new  places, which then inspires me to research on my own and create my own little food tours for my husband and I.  The places below are a result of these excursions. Most are small places or what one might consider a hole in the wall, but so worth the trip!



Two places that my husband and I stopped at one afternoon were both on MacDougal Street near Bleeker.  And If I attended NYU I would weigh a million pounds with all the great cheap food in the area!  The first was The Kati Roll Company where I ordered the Chicken Tikka Roll and my husband ordered the Shami Kabab Roll, both were fantastic.  This is a small place with just three little tables to sit at.  But with each roll just costing around $6 it is a delicious cheap eat.  The spices in both were both wonderful leaving my husband and researching for a place near us that makes these rolls.  Sadly we have not found one yet.

The second place we stopped which literally is just a few doors down from the Kati Roll Company was Mamoun's Fafafel.  Since we had just ordered a roll each we decided to just share the fafafel plate which was just $5.  It's picture above it came with 6 fafafels, little salad, yogurt sauce, and a few pitas on the side.  I think these are the best fafafel I have ever eaten.  Again its a small place with only a couple of tables to sit at.  Again an awesome cheap eat! Check it out: Mamouns





Within the same area is the Meatball Shop ( but they have a few locations).  Which is a place that I had seen on  one of the many cooking channel shows and wanted to check out.  I enjoyed it very much my husband was not overly impressed, I think that was because we had already had some bites and were not especially hungry by the time we got here.  But on the menu you can select the type of meatball you would like and the sauce, these are the naked balls.  We went with the spicy pork meatball with parm. cheese cream sauce. YUM! Paired perfectly with a beer.  We needed more bread to dunk in the sauce which I loved.  And the spicy pork meatball definitely had some bite to it.







Recently in the city with a friend we came across Benny's Burrito- Greenwich.  And well it happened to be National Margarita Day so of course we had to celebrate with some of our own.  I ordered the coconut margarita, all I needed after that was a tropical beach near some crystal blue water, instead of the cold February that we were glad to have a break from.  The burritos in one word are, HUGE.  But they were also very tasty.  I think I only ate half of mine, BBQ roast pork adobo burrito.  Since it was lunchtime we had the lunch special burrito: $7.  You had to add $2 for sour cream and Guacamole which of course we did.  But in my book worth every penny.  Another cheap eat! Benny's Burrito Menu

Margaritas! Cheers

~~DESSERTS~~

And now for some dessert places!  The first one is Milk and Cookies where you guessed it they serve yummy cookies.  Where I enjoyed the Salt Oat Surprise cookie it was warm and chewy and salty and sweet and just perfection!  I definitely needed a tall glass of milk with it.  I do admit I also was very curious of the bacon smack cookie, hmmmm next time.




This final place was a little cupcake shop that was discovered while taking a cupcake tour from Great New York Tours.   This tour took us to 6 stops, 4 cupcake places, one cookie place, and a gelato place.  Now the tour stopped at Crumbs and Magnolia bakeries which both have delicious cupcakes and I enjoy them both, however today I was introduced to Molly's Cupcakes.  Where you can build your own cupcake.  I went with the red velvet cupcake with brown butter frosting.  The cupcake was so moist and the icing fresh and not too sugary as some can be.  It was my favorite of the entire day!

Molly's Cupcakes

Get out there and feast on life......









No comments:

Post a Comment