Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Mexican Stuffed Pepper



Lately I seem to be buying ground turkey in family size packs and then separating into smaller portions to keep in the freezer.  This is a relatively new protein for us to be eating so always on the look out for new recipes.  Tonight was a new creation after reading a few recipes I took some ideas from each and made it my own, using items that I always have in stock in my fridge and pantry.  Always in the pantry are black beans and always on hand is frozen corn.  I can honestly say after eating these I got the seal of approval from my husband as he told me they were blog worthy!




Recipe:

3 red bell peppers (or any color)
1 cup cooked rice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb. ground turkey
1/4 onion diced
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 teaspoons of cumin
2 teaspoons of oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 cup of chicken broth (separated) 
1 can of black beans rinsed and drained
1/2 cup frozen corn
shredded cheese to top
sour cream and guacamole to serve with

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Heat olive oil in pan and cook onion and garlic for a few minutes.  Add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink and cooked through, breaking up with wooden spoon.  Add cumin, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.  Stir and cook for a minute.  Add tomato sauce, corn,  and beans.  Cook for a minute or two stir in 1/2 cup of chicken broth.  Add in cooked rice.  Cook for about 5 minutes absorbing some of the liquid.  

Slice peppers in half lengthwise.  Remove ribs and seeds.  Place in a casserole dish fill with turkey mixture.  Pour 1/2 cup chicken broth in dish. Cover tightly with foil.  Cook for 35 minutes.  Remove and top with cheese.  Serve with sour cream and guacamole on the side.







1 comment: