Sunday, February 24, 2013

White Pizza: Asparagus, mushroom, and carmelized onion



I think there are two things that my husband and I can never tire of, tacos and pizza!  Although we have a love for pizza for all the years I have known my husband we have never ordered take out pizza together.  That's not to say I am above meeting friends at the local pizzeria for a slice.  My husband does tend to turn his nose up visiting them.  He does enjoy making them at home though with fresh, delicious ingredients.  Recently we were out for a nice romantic dinner and ordered a flatbread with mushrooms and truffles as an appetizer.  My husband had never encounter truffles before.  He fell in love.  His dinner that night was Steak Frites which came with a truffle infused aioli to dip his fries in.  A few days later while wandering around doing some shopping I came across the bottle of truffle oil.  I had to buy it.  It was an outstanding addition to this pizza.




Pizza:

1 store bought pizza dough
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon herbs de provence
1 tablespoon black truffle oil
3/4 cup thinly sliced asparagus
3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 caramelized onions
1 cup thinly sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
cornmeal for dusting pizza stone/peal

Preheat oven to 500 degrees and place pizza stone on rack in middle of oven.  Combine ricotta, milk, herb de provence, and truffle oil in a small bowl.  Stretch pizza dough out to desired thickness and shape on a prepared pizza peal.  Top with ricotta cheese mixture around dough leaving edge free.  Top with onions, mushrooms, and asparagus.  Top with sliced mozzarella cheese.  Slide on pizza stone and cook about 15 minutes.

Paired perfect with a nice Chianti!









No comments:

Post a Comment